Friday, November 2, 2007

Not just Mommy's Milk anymore...

As alluded to, to keep Silas entertained while we sat around visiting with friends during our weekend in Calgary, we let him suck on different foods. By the end of the weekend, he was pretty proficient at gumming crackers, bread and grapes. I even spotted a grape peel in his poopie diaper. Needless to say, he's developed quite a taste for solid food- he now smiles big and gets excited whenever we open the fridge.

Yesterday I sat him down for a bowl of pablum. He instantly directed the spoon to his mouth and wasn't shy about eating out of the bowl or off his bib either. He even asked for seconds. I guess he's growing up and the weaning process has begun... sigh, it does make me a bit sad.

And yes, that is Silas sitting in a Bumbo on a raised surface. And yes, I did turn my back for a second in which he wriggled out and landed face first on the counter. And yes, I've learned my lesson and the Bumbo now stays on the floor and I thank God he wasn't seriously hurt. But no, I don't think the chairs need to be recalled- it was my negligent parenting!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

My previous comment got lost! Sad.

I was wondering how long it would take before Silas moved onto solids!! More than once I saw him eyeing my dinner while he was here :)

Make sure you take some pics of when he first tastes the coldness of ice cream or bites into a pickle!

theRachel said...

i love that you guys are blogging!!! WAHOO!!!

Bre said...

Hey Karen,
This is Breanna from Mother Goose - your blog is beautiful, the first posting when Silas turned five months got me all choked up - the heart really does live outside the body now... gosh, maybe I am still hormonal too. Love that you also have a blog, I have two but I have a tough time keeping up with them the way I want to. Anyways, talk to you soon